Hmm, well in trying to think of the things that I would quite like to have access to on a desert island if I was pregnant and washed up, I found it was everyday items that would be my essentials.
I’ve put together my “basics” kit. I’d love to hear what everyday things you would pop in your survival kit. Perhaps we can add them to it to make a “deluxe” version.
- Gaviscon – get a tank installed in your garden and order by the gallon. Just trust me on this.
- Dream diary – the notations will mainly be about ex boyfriends. It’s the psychological equivalent of a number of doors slamming shut.
- Paracetomol – blinding headaches can blight the middle part of pregnancy but your options are limited. But still, you need to do something. Take this and wait a few minutes for it not to work.
- 4Head Headache and migraine relief – I found these moderately soothing in the absence of real pain relief and it prepares you for the sense of futility that gas and air gives during child birth when you’ve decided to go au naturel.
- Heavy duty concealer/foundation for hyperpigmentation – during pregnancy I was delighted when my adult acne cleared up but I ended up looking like Judith Chalmers crossed with a giraffe.
- Dustpan and brush – you’ll get clumsy. You’ll smash things.
- Slippers – so you don’t tread in the broken glass scattered around you.
- Travel acupressure bands – I found morning sickness to be like seasickness but without the view. Or close to the feeling you get when you come off a waltzer.
- Chocolate, cheese and crumpets. Not together. Actually, yeah, together.
- Bolster cushion or two pillows stuffed into a long pillowcase – wrap yourself around this in bed at night, especially as you get big, to ease your aching back. WARNING: It will be extremely hard to give this up once the baby is born. Your partner might end up like mine, waking up in the middle of the night sleeping in the prayer position, knees on the floor, head and hands on the pillow, shunted out by the bolster. Draw a face on it if it makes it less weird.