Blue whale birthday cake

Last year I made BUB.2 a birthday cake that perfectly symbolised his temperament at four years old. This year, on his fifth birthday, myย blue whale-loving boy deserved a birthday cake to symbolise how far he has come since being a volcanic four-year-old.

I had spotted a few whale cakes on the internet and quickly shut it down. They were either completely terrible or completely incredible. Let me get this straight, I have never used sugarpaste (or fondant as some people like to call it)ย icing before. I am not a birthday cake-maker. I’m winging it. Some birthdays I don’t bother. Usually by August, BUB.3’s birthday, I’ve completely run out of steam and I ask him which supermarket cake he would most like.

But it was June, so off I went to Hobbycraft, feeling like a (excuse the pun) fish out of water and acquired dark blue icing for the sea and pale blue for my whale.

Blue whale birthday cake

It took me a few goes at rolling out the sugarpaste icing and getting it on top of the cake (I have no kitchen at the moment so my Mum had kindly made a Mary Berry chocolate cake with buttercream icing). Eventually, probably on the eighth attempt and with BUB.3 hanging off the back of my leg, I did it.

If I had my time again I’d be more careful to create a rippling wave effect around the edge but I was just happy to get the cake covered. I could have cut around the edge and made a prettier, neater cake but decided to go rough and ready.

Fortunately, I had some sea shells to nestle in the creases. I had ordered theseย pretty ones from eBay.

Fondant icing sea shell

I was going to use edible glitter on the sea but decided to go for a shimmery spray instead. I managed to spray my camera, BUB.3’s face and most of the room, so be careful and, unlike me, follow the instructions.

Dr. Oetker cake shimmer spray

Next I made this little fella, following the guide I found here on Pinterest. He’s not perfect, in fact he could use a little bit of botox and most certainly a tail lift, but I liked him anyway.

Fondant icing blue whale

I created the breaking waves around the whale using these sparkling sugar crystals, also from Hobbycraft. I had thought about piping some icing to create waves, but as is often wise in issues of skill and patience when you have a two-year-old whimpering at your feet, I took the easy way out.

Sprinkles sugar crystals cake decoration

I added some silver sugar balls I had lying around to create some little bubbles. It was a whim, I was freewheeling by now.

Blue whale birthday cake

A sparkler in the shape of a 5, to denote some minor eruptions of temper still, plus five regular ones, and we were off.

So last year there was this…

Volcano birthday cake

…and this year we had this.

IMG_3939

My boy has come a long way.

Pink Pear Bear
My Random Musings
My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
3 Little Buttons
Petite Pudding

34 comments for “Blue whale birthday cake

1. June 23, 2016 at 12:23 pm

You are brilliant with your cakes Lisa! I was all set to make an Andy’s Dinosaur Adventure Cake and have saved the crappy CBeebies Andy figurine, which came free with a magazine, but I’ve chickened out at the last minute. Instead I’ve bought a vastly over priced dinosaur cake topper. I’ve also commissioned a local mum to bake on my behalf as mine always turn out like frisbees. The shame! I’m sure BUB.2 is going to love your whale. Have fun x

• July 6, 2016 at 10:37 am

We love Andy! I am sure the dinosaur cake was just as appreciated. My Mum made the actual chocolate cake (I have no kitchen…but also she’s much better at it than me!). The whale cake went down a storm although the blue icing was alarming! ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

2. June 29, 2016 at 5:45 am

The cake is so cute. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as shimmer spray and sparkling sugar crystals. Shows that I know very little about cake making or decorating. I think I’m best at eating. #puddinglove

• July 6, 2016 at 10:38 am

I didn’t know either until the other week! ๐Ÿ˜€ I excel at eating. It’s my default state. Thanks for reading!

3. June 29, 2016 at 5:54 am

This is not bad at all! Don’t be too harsh on yourself. I don’t even know if I would be bothered to only bake. Direction the shop ๐Ÿ˜ˆ Reading this post at 7 am and I wouldn’t mind a piece please, yum!
    #KCACOLS

• July 6, 2016 at 10:39 am

Shop’s good! Or my Mum baking the actual cake. I just plonked the pretty bits on top! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. June 29, 2016 at 8:30 am

Ah so lovely and creative! I’m desperate not to resort to a Colin the Caterpillar!! x #DreamTeam

• July 6, 2016 at 10:39 am

But then who doesn’t love Colin the Caterpillar? x

5. June 29, 2016 at 11:51 am

Oh wow!!! I love this. You’re so clever and clearly don’t give yourself enough credit! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love the effect round the edges or the cake. I bet your little man loves it! You’ve inspired me to try making my little one’s birthday cake this year. He’s two too! #KCACOLS

• July 6, 2016 at 10:40 am

Ooh well good luck. It’s fun although I don’t do it every year and I don’t even do it for all my kids! HA! Just when the fancy takes me. Terrible mother. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Kat
    June 29, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Absolutely amazing creations! What a fantastic cake, so creative! love it! Mine are usually chocolate with a few strawberries on top! #kcacols

• July 6, 2016 at 10:40 am

That sounds amazing. Chocolate and strawberries are the best combination! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. June 29, 2016 at 12:56 pm

That’s absolutely fantastic! Home-made cakes are the best – we did a Jurassic Park cake for my two year old’s birthday. It was definitely not shop-quality but she loved it! Those are brilliant and I hope it was well-received! #KCACOLS

• July 6, 2016 at 10:41 am

Thank you! Jurassic Park sounds good…I might need to try that for my eldest’s 7th birthday! Thanks for reading ๐Ÿ™‚

8. June 29, 2016 at 1:02 pm

ahh you are so clever! loving the little shells! I’m rubbish at making cakes like this! #KCACOLS

• July 6, 2016 at 10:42 am

I’m no expert and the shells were from eBay but I had fun trying! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. June 29, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Wow, that is an incredible cake and you have such a talent X #dreamteam

• July 6, 2016 at 10:46 am

Ah thank you! It was very blue but quite tasty! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. June 30, 2016 at 12:17 am

I LOVE this! For your first time using fondant, this is so impressive. I love the little whale, he is absolutely adorable <3
    I'm also really digging the volcano cake as well-super rad! Thanks for sharing, and Happy Birthday to your 5 year old!

• July 6, 2016 at 10:47 am

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ The whale was tasty but they only ate his tail. Too cruel otherwise (and very sweet!)

11. June 30, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Great effort! My son just turned 1 so I took the easy road and just covered it in buttercream. He’s got plenty of time to start demanding elaborate designs! #KCACOLS

• July 6, 2016 at 10:49 am

Oh yes, and that sounds delicous anyway! I must admit mine didn’t ask for this, I just decided to thrust it upon him. I think he’d prefer a shop one! ๐Ÿ˜€

12. July 1, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Awww this is a lovely cake – the little whale is so cute. and I love the bubbles too! That volcano cake is fab too! #KCACOLS

• July 6, 2016 at 11:00 am

Thank you! The bubbles were last minute but what the heck!

13. July 1, 2016 at 2:29 pm

What a lucky little boy! Your cakes are great! I am dreading next year when my son will be old enough to tell me what he wants on his cake! #kcacols

• July 6, 2016 at 10:59 am

Ha, he didn’t tell me, I guessed! If I asked, I dread to think what he would say…

14. July 1, 2016 at 8:56 pm

This is a brilliant cake, well done! #

• July 6, 2016 at 10:59 am

Thanks!

15. July 1, 2016 at 9:28 pm

AH well done – I always dread making the birthday cake. We had to have a Harry Potter castle this year… Brilliant whale and lets face it how great is Pintrest for getting some ideas? Thanks for linking #PuddingLove

• July 6, 2016 at 10:59 am

A what? A Harry Potter castle? My word!! xx

16. July 3, 2016 at 11:55 am

Wow that looks amazing! I would never be able to achieve something like this! You are good! Thanks so much for sharing this at #KCACOLS. Sorry for commenting too late, x

• July 6, 2016 at 10:58 am

No worries and thank you! xx

17. July 7, 2016 at 8:03 pm

How clever are you! That cake is such a fab idea. I love all the little details you have added and all the tips on where to buy the stuff. My little brother tends to make Little Button her birthday cakes, but I am now feeling really inspired. Thank you so much for sharing this with the #DreamTeam X

• July 11, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Ah well it’s good fun, and the results don’t really matter. It’s just fun to try. But sometimes good to get someone else to make it too! I’m a big believer in that also! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for reading xx

Comments are closed.